Thursday, February 16, 2017

Wax On, Wax Off

     I hope that watching my kids do jiu jitsu counts as exercise because I get tired just watching!  Tonight they are pummeling hanging bags.  I relate more to the bags than the fighters.  I feel like I'm just hanging on and that I've been kicked and punched a few dozen times.  But that's just a normal day in my life sometimes.  Rainy weather is guaranteed to give me the punching bag sensation.

    Secretly, I am envious of the kids and the adults that I see.  I would love to learn these techniques.  The moves that they learn are beautiful in their form and badass in execution.  Monkey is strong in kata, the display of forms, but Shaun is fierce in sparring, the fighting part.  I am so proud of how hard they work in class and of how far they have come since the beginning. Honestly, I'm proud of all of the kids that I've gotten to watch over time.  It's pretty amazing what they can do.  It's even better knowing that they are learning to defend themselves.  Not to mention the confidence and discipline that the teachers instill in them.

   I mentioned adults, too.  Some of the parents take classes here, too.  What better stress relief after a day at work than getting to funnel your frustration into a workout that includes punching?!  It looks like great exercise that builds lean muscle and core strength.  Plus it's just plain cool to see a grown woman looking like a whirlwind of pain!  I would love to pull that off.  I just don't think I have the stamina to keep up or the ability to get hit without really hurting.

    FibroMIGHTs always hear that we're supposed to exercise to help the pain and fatigue but it's difficult to believe when it takes so much effort to do regular daily activities.  I used to do Zumba and I admit that it felt good but it got to be too much for me.  Now I struggle not to fall asleep as soon as I get home from work.  We have a treadmill in the basement that I used to walk on but I feel like I don't have time--or that it will use up too many of my spoons and leave me worse off.  It's a tough situation.  I also know that losing a bit of weight and developing my muscles would be a good thing.  It is a catch-22 for me.  I guess I need to suck it up and start small.  Maybe if I get back on the treadmill I can work myself up to something more after awhile.  One must start small, grasshopper.

No comments:

Post a Comment