Thursday, February 9, 2017

Liquid Sunshine

Greetings and salutations!

Despite the fact that I am dying to take a nap against the dojo punching bags while my boys do jiu jitsu, I am going to talk about energy.

My family went to Disney back in September, our second trip there as a family and since I developed fibro.  Each trip lasted 5 days.  That's five days of walking in the Florida heat and humidity.  We stayed up late and got going early each morning.  My Fitbit registered upward of 20,000 almost every day and I passed the 10 mile mark at least once.  I expected to be the one holding us back and crapping out but I didn't!  I kept up and never really felt like I'd overdone it.  Obi-John kept an eye on me and was sure to ask if I needed to rest or take a break.  It was an amazing feeling.  And it was like that on both trips.

When we got home this time I started to wonder how I pulled it off.  Was it just the excitement of being in Disney World?  The determination to keep up?  A reprieve from the mighty fibro gremlin?  Here's what I came up with:  sunshine.  I don't get a lot of sun exposure in my daily life.  I'm sure you're shocked, given the glowing porcelain sheen of the skin showing in my blog photo.  I became convinced that it was energy from the sun giving me superpowers, like Superman but without the ability to fly or complete more than basic daily tasks.  Then I thought about how to replicate those effects at home.

The answer is vitamin D3.  I had heard about supplements and know that we get vitamin D from the sun but I hadn't ever given it much consideration.  Since I already take a handful of pills each day I decided to look for a gummy version.  I've been taking them for a few months now and I have to say that I definitely notice a difference.  The standard level of fatigue has become less and more manageable.  I wish I hadn't waited so long to give it a try.  They're tasty, too.  In fact, Obi-John has started taking one each morning.  I feel like the D3 helps with circulation, as well.  My extremities don't get as cold.

Even though I don't relish the idea of having added something else to my pile'o'meds it has been absolutely worthwhile.  There are days when I just don't want to take my supplements.  I get tired of it sometimes.  I'd like a break.  But fibro and ME don't give me one so on I prance, thanks to my oils, tablets, and gummies.  I'm still not on any prescription pain or fibro meds.  I'm thankful that I can get by on natural options because I tend to have awful reactions to the prescriptions.  And that extra D3 seems to keep me walking on sunshine.  Gentle hugs, fibroMIGHTS!

No comments:

Post a Comment