Sunday, April 12, 2015

Let's talk about spoons!

Most people who know me in real life have heard me talk about my spoons--usually that I don't have enough of them.  Some of you may know what I'm talking about but a lot of you probably don't.  There is a fantastic article about living with a hidden illness over on But You Don't Look Sick?.  Here is the link: http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/.  When I was diagnosed with fibro I was directed to the "Spoon Theory" story and I am so grateful for that!  The story is a great way to help fibromights explain things to those without and it's a great way for friends and family to understand what a loved one is going through.  

The short version is this: people living with a chronic illness start the day with less energy and use it up more quickly.  The energy is represented by spoons.  As a fibromight, I am always low on spoons.  Simple things can use up more of my spoons than they used to and that is extremely frustrating.  It can also be frustrating for those around us, who don't understand why we can't go to one more store or why we NEED that nap.  We have to budget our spoons carefully; what we do one day can steal spoons from the next day.  Budgeting spoons is a delicate and irritating part of fibro.  It sucks.  A lot.

So what can we do about it?  Doctors will tell us to keep moving and exercising.  I think there is some truth to that but we also have to be careful not to overdo it and end up in more pain.  It's tricky.  And getting enough sleep is essential but we will still be tired.  My rheumy told me I need a minimum of 7 hours per night and I have to agree with him.  I noticed a huge difference from when I was only getting 6.  But I still need my weekend naps.  

People are often amazed at my energy level and ask what I do, so I will share.  #1, I am mildly ADHD and have naturally elevated energy.  Sorry, no trick there.  #2, supplements.  I take magnesium and a good multi-vitamin.  Nutrients are very important.  And #3, OrganoGold coffee.  You will hear me mention this one A LOT.  When I run out people can tell.  It is the single best thing I've found to boost my spoons.  I don't sell it so I'm not pitching my business here.  It is simply amazing!  My coffee dealer, Dannella, could give you all the details but here is what I know: it is a specially produced coffee with extra B vitamins and a mushroom complex.  It doesn't make me jittery and it gives me energy that lasts all day while boosting my mood, as well!  I like the Latte, either in a smoothie with bananas and strawberries or hot with vanilla almond milk and a hit of chocolate syrup.  If you are interested in learning more, here's a link; Magical Coffee .

I also want to mention a friend of mine who makes the cutest Spoon jewelry.  She has chronic pain, too.  I have one necklace already but I want more!  They also make a great gift for the newly diagnosed.  Nerd Chic Boutique

May you always have an extra spoon, fibromights!

No comments:

Post a Comment